Monday, October 11, 2010

Home ~ Forest, Ocean, and Community

Ketchikan, Alaska.
I grew up in Ketchikan and it will always be one of my favorite places.  The landscape is filled with islands covered with the lush, green forest that extends to the ocean.  It is truly spectacular (especially when it is sunny) and according to me, Southeast Alaska is one of the most beautiful places in the world.  I may be a little biased!  My parents did not grow up in Alaska, but there are families and friends in Ketchikan that have filled the role of my aunts, uncles, and cousins.  As with many places in Alaska, perhaps most places, the friends one makes become family for those whose 'real' family is thousands of miles away.  Now, as a young adult, building a life of my own in a new part of Alaska, I realized the importance of that community and the time it takes to develop.   

1 comment:

  1. I love your introduction. Your picture perspective is unique and beautiful! I look forward to reading your ideas and responses to the modules. I've never blogged before either, so this should be interesting. I must have done it wrong, because I'm not seeing a lot of responses:( I'll hopefully figure it out.
    Martha Gould-Lehe

    ReplyDelete